Thursday, August 30, 2007

Time and Space

Having had some time since being mugged, I have come to some realizations. First off, I am so glad to be alive. I will never be thankful to my muggers for giving me perspective... Should I thank everyone that doesn't kill me for letting me live? No, that would be ridiculous. However, it can always be worse, until you're dead, and after that, who knows, so it's not worth thinking about (in my humble opinion).
I'm glad to be here to deal with the bullshit that ensues when your shit is stolen and you have to deal with the bureaucracy in order to avoid paying for charges you didn't make, and getting back money in your account that you did not spend. I'm glad I get to deal with looking for work, and carving a niche in a new city. I'm glad that I have people in my life that care about me and send positive thoughts and energy my way.
Also, should I again decide to invest in expensive electronic equipment, the first thing I'm going to do is write down the serial numbers. And should anything like this happen again, I will file a police report as soon as I can. It didn't occur to me to call 911. I think it was beaten into my head as a child that 911 was FOR EMERGENCIES ONLY, yet emergencies were defined as "your life is in danger." So, once the immediate danger has passed... Anyhow, when, days later, I went to the Philadelphia police web page, looking for a number to call to file a report, the only number listed was 911. Though I doubt my stuff would have been recovered, the chance was much greater immediately following the mugging. I have filed a report, but again, at this point, I think the main point to that is so the credit card companies have something on file.
Main point--glad to be alive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah, on that 911 issue, me too! when i was hit by the car while biking, the foreign lady kept repeating "911?" and in my mind there weren't any bones poking through my skin, nor blood, nor was i concussed, so i denied the 911 call. lesson learned, should've just called 'em. <3